Thursday, May 20, 2010

Semperviva Sun

...and because I'm slightly crazy, I decided to go to another class at a different studio right after the kundalini class (correction! the previous class ended at 10:45 not 11:45 like I stated)... I checked out one of Semperviva's studios on Broadway. There is actually another Semperviva studio (Sky studio) across the street. I had never been to the Sun studio before, though.

What: Semperviva Sun

Where: 2608 West Broadway, Vancouver, BC

When: May 20, 2010, 11:00am-12:15pm

Class: Hatha Yoga

Teacher: Tianne

Drop-In price per class: $18

Comments:

Space:

This yoga studio is also connected to the Semperviva Lifestyle shop, where you can get yoga clothes, book, health foods and other things. The studio itself was quite large and was easy to get get to. There was only one washroom and it had water all over the floors (they claim that it was due to condensation from temperature changes). Regardless, it was pretty gross to be stepping in water in your bare feet. Also, there was no changeroom other than that one bathroom. Not very convenient.

Atmosphere:

I'm finding that Semperviva puts a lot of care into making their front lobbies look nice, but when it comes to their studios, they sorta lack in atmosphere. The yoga space was nice, but had some odd artwork on the walls and the floors were an ugly cork tile. I just wished Semperviva had more hardwood floors!

Teacher/Class:

It felt really nice to do a hatha class again. I've been trying out all these other styles I don't teach to get a sense of what else is out there, but it's nice to come back to my own style and learn new things to incorporate in my own classes. I really liked Tianne's flow and she had some great alignment cues and wisdom to share. One thing that kept annoying me throughout the class was that she spoke quite slowly and kept saying "ex-a-hale" and over enunciating each word. I kept thinking: "just say it like you're having a conversation with me, not like you're the yoga teacher!" Overall, it was a great class.

Rating: 7/10. Semperviva is a great because once you join, you're able to go to all of their studios (although very condensed in the Kitsilano area). I liked the size of the space and the class, but Semperviva needs to work on providing the proper amenities!

No comments:

Post a Comment